Thursday, April 11, 2013

The last minute flow of things


You know your departure day is near when you can check the weather in the 10 day outlook.  Oddly enough, the actual ride is the farthest thing from my mind.  What is on my mind is the drive to Miami that I will begin in less than 24 hours.

Just to recap, I’m driving the truck and motorcycle trailer to Miami airport.  I’ll fly by back this weekend.  J and the kids will fly out on the last day of my ride.  They will grab the truck and meet me in Key Largo (If you are like me then this song will be in your head, it’s okay to like it).  Then we all ride down to Key West together to finish the ride and begin the Disney World vacation of a lifetime.



Regarding the planning, I’m not really in control of my body any more.  I am actually doing lots of stuff but I don’t really have any control.  My life is a river of lists and half remembered tasks that lead inexorably to Miami.  I’ve been working on this trip so long, I’m not even thinking about it anymore.  It’s relaxing and unsettling at the same time.

It’s kind of like that strange feeling you get when you are absolutely screwed.  You can be secure in the fact that things just can’t get any worse.  I feel like that but in a positive way.  This trip is happening whether I remembered to pack my boxers or not. It just is.

Quick update since I haven’t done one in awhile:

Picked up the trailer yesterday.  Tested it with the bike.  It fits perfectly and takes 2 minutes to store.  Definitely worth rental cost (free plug for the Motorcycle Trailer Guy).  Use this guy, he’s awesome.



The drive to Miami consists of two days.  Day 1 is Houston to the edge of Florida.  Day 2 is to Miami Airport to drop of the truck.  Day 3 is flight home in time for the kids’ gymnastic competition.

I am really not expecting anything out of the drive portion of the trip.  Pretty much 1-10 all the way over.  I might blog on Friday or Saturday night but I’ll be pretty beat from the drive.

The blogposts will probably be much more frequent (and maybe a little shorter) from here on in.

The next posting will be from the road to Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment