Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Last Bit of Getting Ready


I’m not sure why, but the craziest part of the day seems to be the moments in between the alarm going off and actually getting out of bed.  It’s like the fear and anxiety portion of your brain boots up before the comforting filters that let you get through life.  Kind of a stupid design really.  I’ve learned to either use the time to relax and get centered or just get up and get the juices flowing.

This week is especially challenging as all the fears and uncertainties seem to be hiding in the wings.  Fuck ‘em, I’m doin’ it anyway.

The bags will stay on the bike just fine. I am a good rider and I’ve got three years experience on this particular rig. I have spare parts, tools, first aid kits and know-how.  No worries.  At least not any real ones.

The trip then, is just three days away.  Here is a fire-hose type status update:

·         Truck and Trailer are safely in Miami in a parking spot I swear was designed for them.  The people that run the parking lot are completely friggin’ cool and said that they would help in any way they could.  Disney trip stuff is packed in the trailer which is secured by 3 very large padlocks.  You would have to drill out a dozen ¼ inch rivets to even pry one of the doors open.  Thus family clothing and personal effects are adequately secured.

·         Most of the bike trip stuff is packed and quadruple checked

·         The new phone is functioning in a way that is mostly acceptable but we are still getting to know each other.  It’s a process, not an event.

·         The laptop performs well beyond my expectations and will be invaluable on the trip

·         Most of the maps and daily plans are printed out and ready to go

·         The bike is running extremely well.  It’s almost like it senses that the time is near.

·         Riding gear has been selected.  Looks like winter gear for this trip.  I can peel back layers if necessary but there are going to be some 55 degree mornings.  Combine that with a gulf wind and it might be below 40 at speed.  Gets a little old after the first two hours.

·         J and the kids will be meeting me in Galveston on Sunday.  Despite the obvious fact that I will be completely relieved to see them, they can also bring anything I forgot.  It’s a good setup.

·         A’s bike gear is in the trailer and he will be riding with me at least some of the way from Key Largo to Key West.  Should be fairly memorable.

·         J can track me using Maps and the GPS on my phone.

There is very little left on the to-do list.  Which is good because my self-discipline is about gone.  Enough planning and prep.  Time for kickstands up.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Trails! Take lots of pictures if possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to do great and have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete