Wednesday, October 10, 2012

“Did you bring all that **** on the bike?”


The title is a direct quote from the Park host when they saw my camp.  

This post was from 8/14, the day before the ride:

==
Okay so that wasn’t so bad.

Managed to get everything on the bike.  It took a hell of a long time and I was a bundle of nerves but I must admit the end result looks pretty good.

This may not be what the designers had in mind

 Here is a list of everything that is shoved into two saddlebags and two 40 Liter dry bags.

Charger-12V to USB, Charger-110V to USB, coffee, creamer, gatorade powder or drink mix, MREs, dish soap, splenda, light blanket, skeeter spray, sunscreen, ear plugs, brush or comb, cologne, deodorant, razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, air mat, towel, tent, tent footprint, Stakes Hammer, Stakes, Paper towels, extension cord, bandanas, allen wrenches, crescent wrench, duck tape, electrical tape, fuses, inflator, tireplug kit, wire, wire ties of different sizes, diags, needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, metric ratchet set, pliers, chair, cup, flashlights, tentlight, Trash Bags-Lawn, Ziploc Bags small, Ziploc Bags large, camp stove, fire starter, camp stove fuel, lighters, mess gear, boxers, jeans, paperback book, shorts, socks, t-shirts, coke, Hat, Tie Downs, fishing rod and tackle, backpack, Charger- Phone USB, water, kickstand plate, Bait,

I did a test ride where I cycled through the following steps; Ride a little faster, check gear.
Managed lots of starts and stops with a top speed of 65 on 290.  My gear did not shift an inch and the saddlebags look like they are holding up to the weight.

Mission Accomplished?

I need to go over the list to check for a few remaining items though I’m not sure where the hell they would go.  I left everything packed and strapped to the bike.

It’s not the weight I worry about.  All my stuff doesn’t weigh but about 60-80 lbs.  My son weighs that much and he moves around much more than the gear.  The bike just feels very top heavy.  It was an adjustment.  The test ride last night will go a long way to easing my anxiety for the first few miles.

Next Post:  Ride report for first camping trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment