Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Daddy, what did you bring me?

So here is something I just thought of, how do I handle souvenirs?  The last time I crossed multiple states (mid 90’s move from San Fran back home), I grabbed a few little souvenirs from every state.



This time it will not just be shot glasses and cigarette lighters.  Now I have a family to think of.  And a little swag will go a long way towards healing the resentment that childless camping will cause.  Yes, I will bribe my children with knick-knacks.  Who the hell wouldn't? ;-)

Buying these things will be great fun but they better be pretty damn small.  As it is, I pretty much fill all of my luggage with necessities for the trip (food, water, skivvies, etc.) 

So here are a couple of options I am thinking of:

1)    Leave an extra bag empty for stuff.  Unless I plan to forgo clothing, I don’t know where the space would come from.  I added a luggage rack and a sissy bar bag since the last camping trip, but I will need to take more food for the long haul.  I guess I could add a tank bag or something, but damn, I’m already overpacked.
2)    Shove the damn things wherever they might fit and then UPS them several times throughout the trip.
3)    Combination of 1 and 2.

I guess it will have to be option 3.  I think I will just have to leave one of my saddlebags half empty and then mark a few Pack and Send places along the trip routes. 

At the end of the debate season, I leave you with some of my favorite lyrics from the Avett Brothers: Head full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise,

            When nothing is owed or deserved or expected
And your life doesn’t change by the man that’s elected
If you’re loved by someone, you’re never rejected
Decide what to be and go be it

No comments:

Post a Comment