Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Toast: To the Already Good Life and Bold Endeavors


My life is really fucking good.

My wife is wonderful and my kids are beyond wonderful (if a bit snarky).  My job is lucrative and enjoyable and I have some really amazing friends.  This is the life I worked my whole life for and I’m often amazed at the richness of it all.

...so the motivation for this blog isn't your garden variety mid-life crisis. 

You wanna know the secret to getting through a mid-life crisis? 

Don’t fucking have one.  Once you grow out of adolescence (whatever age that happens to be), do the following things:

  • Don’t give in to pressure to grow up or prove that you haven’t grown up. 

  • Do shit that calls you…that scares you...that compels you.  Do shit that makes you feel more like you.  Or better yet, the “you” that you know you were supposed to be but because of some cock-up of fate and nature, you aren’t. 

  • Know thyself through and through.  Even if the guy in the mirror sometimes looks like an asshole, you better understand him because he’s attached to the badass, decent guy that shows up the rest of the time.  

  • Don’t say bad things to yourself.  Set your critical inner voice to little kid mode.  Keep it brief, specific and positive. 

  • If, at times, you feel crazier than a shithouse rat, realize that it will pass.

40 then becomes just an impractical number of birthday candles.

In keeping with the guidelines above (and to avoid a future  ¾ life crisis?)…

I want to do a really kick-ass motorcycle ride.  Something bold yet achievable.  Nothing to make the gods bellow in admiration (or scorn) but maybe something to get a head nod from the bolder, more fun-loving deities.

So…

I’m riding FROM SOUTH FUCKING PADRE TO KEY FUCKING WEST, using only coastal roads.  Like a true son of the Gulf Coast, I’m gonna go see this bitch…all of it…while on my motorcycle.


This is just an approximate route as I will want to keep mostly to coastal roads instead of highways
    
Come with me. 

If you can’t ride with me, follow along here as I start the mammoth task of planning this trip.  I will commit to absolute truth and at least one update per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment